Very tight game with the Tampa Bay Rays leading 2 - 1 up to the 6th when the Yankees took a 4 - 2 lead which was the final result.
Yankees in at bat, with the Rays pitcher winding up for the first pitch of the afternoon
What a great atmosphere and a great game I thought. The crowd was very quiet for the first few innings, but came alive when the Yankees hit the front.
Some quaint customs, yes expected the national anthem, everyone stands and takes their cap off, many with hand over heart, this if course includes all players and officials. Then at the top of the 6th inning, I think, a couple of plays into it they stop and there is a bit of a sing song type activity which is apparently usual and normal
I didn't realise how many balls they get thru, if it is a foul hit, then a one of two guys are assigned to fetch and throw into the crowd. Any ball that hits the ground is not used again. Any ball that is hit into the crowd is kept by the person who catches it or who has scrambled and got it off the ground. When a fielder takes a catch in the outfield this is invariably thrown into the crowd as well.
Beer queues nice and short, not like OZ as well as plenty of choices of draft and bottled beer as well as full strength and light (if you want that), not just who has pourage rights, although the prices are a little savage at $11.50 USD a beer. Hey and how about this, I was asked for ID - do I not look over 21?, apparently this is the rule every time you buy alcohol at a game, and only max of two beers per person.
Here is a look around Yankee Stadium from the seats we were sitting in, at the bottom of the 8th Inning, as well as some action from the game with the Yankees in at bat
So every Yankees supporter left the game happy, in fact I didn't notice any Rays supporters but as they are based in Florida this is not surprising. Getting to and from via the subway was easy and straightforward, thanks to Ben.

No comments:
Post a Comment